Friday, July 21, 2017

56. Why the Soldier Cried


(As told by Rabbi Avraham Plotkin on chabad.org)

It was in 1967, when the Jewish people reclaimed Jerusalem and reclaimed the sight of the Holy Temple, that the the soldiers arrived at the site of the Western Wall. 
You can imagine that it was a very emotional moment. 
The soldiers were all standing there and they started to cry from the excitement. After thousands of years, the Jews were finally once again able to touch these walls and to kiss these stones!
Some of the soldiers noticed that there was a secular soldier there, one who never learned what it means to be a Jew, and he too was crying bitterly. Curious, one of the observant soldiers walked over to him and asked, 
"I know that I'm crying because I learned about this, but why are you crying?"
"I'm crying because I don't even know why to cry. That really hurts me," he replied.
Now, during the three weeks, the Rebbe encouraged us to use this opportune time to learn about the Holy Temple - so we can find out why we need a Temple anyway, why we should be crying for Moshiach, and why every moment that goes by without it is an unimaginable loss.  

No comments:

Post a Comment